When the Mitt Romney campaign announced in August that U.S. Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) was selected as his vice presidential running mate, my first thought was, "the Mongoose guy?" (Paul Ryan, another person with the same name, is based in Liverpool, England, and is a BMX rider sponsored by Mongoose, Nike BMX and The Shadow Conspiracy.)
Paul Ryan the U.S. representative was the vice presidential nominee at the Republican National Convention in Tampa, Fla., in late August. Meanwhile, Paul Ryan, the sponsored BMX pro from Liverpool, England, appeared in a web video with the Mongoose Bicycles team that traveled throughout France.
Now, as we approach the presidential elections in the United States, talk of "Paul Ryan shirtless" and his 98-page budget plan has dominated the airwaves. But back in BMX land, Paul Ryan missed a feeble grind and is laid up with a bruised tailbone and bruised ribs. To clarify the differences between the two Paul Ryans, we've collected an assortment of different views between the vice presidential candidate and the BMX pro.
- Paul Ryan the vice presidential candidate believes that "borrowing and spending is the not the way to prosperity."
- Paul Ryan the BMX pro "cuts his handlebars down a little bit" when setting up new bikes.
- Paul Ryan the vice presidential candidate believes that "behind every small business, there's a story worth knowing."
- Paul Ryan the BMX pro once "ate far too much meat in Brazil but it was well worth it."
- Paul Ryan the vice presidential candidate claims he is "happy to be clinging to my guns and my religion."
- Paul Ryan the BMX pro "needs a better sleeping pattern so I'm not looking at Twitter at 3 a.m."
- Paul Ryan the vice presidential candidate "will not spend four years blaming others." He will "take responsibility."
- Paul Ryan the BMX pro believes that "Shadow Conspiracy's Captive forks are the future."
- Paul Ryan the vice presidential candidate "knows we have a debt tsunami coming."
- Paul Ryan the BMX pro urges everyone to "get the gallon of Pepsi when you go to the cinema."