The year in snowboarding: Blair's picks
It all bleeds into the same vein year after year. Breaking down cells into their individual memories is a monotonous task. Even if only a year has gone by; every turn, wave, grab, spin, cork, faceshot and the adventure to obtain such moments since I first strapped into a snowboard has manifested itself over and over again. The collective obsession clouds my eyes, a long continuous float. Sometimes you have to come down though. In this case, for a top 5 list.
Happy New Year's, everyone.
"Go fast and take chances." Gunther Jose Frank, R.I.P.
1. R.I.P. Donnkie. Mt. Baker's native son, Sean "Donnkie" Mansfield, passes on in a sailing accident near Bellingham Bay. One of the most inspirational riders to ever butter down Baker, Washington's snowboard community is devastated, along with many other hearts down the west coast and beyond. Scum Love forever.
2. The Legendary Mt. Baker Banked Slalom. Every year. Sometimes it snows, and if it doesn't, you still get to eat wild salmon and drink a few beers around the biggest bonfire you may ever fall into with friends and new faces alike.
3. Wolle Nyvelt's no-binding no-grab back 3 in Absinthe's "Neverland" on his homemade snowsurfer. You see that?
4. Europe's winter last season and the Euro inclination towards cursing groomers and parks. Untracked under lifts and trams days after a storm. Weird, right?
5. Lucas Debari wins Transworld Rookie of the Year. Nice moves.